Tasks, projects, dispatch and more – It’s about controlled costs, increased efficiency of operations, accurate time tracking and reduced worker turnover. It’s also an area wherein many construction companies encounter an overabundance of unnecessary stress and strife.
Cost of Inefficient Schedule and Dispatch of Construction Workers and Assets
Face it: Poor scheduling and dispatch of jobsite construction workers amounts to wasted manpower, idle equipment, erroneous accounting, and a host of other costly complications. Yet so many construction managers waste countless hours on pen-to-paper schedule-&-dispatch documentation and planning. Spreadsheets help reduce some of the wastefulness, but they too miss the mark of well-organized allocation and management of human and equipment resources.
Pitfalls of Inefficient Construction Fieldworker Scheduling
According to construction claims consultant Long International, and as cited during disputes, "The failure to develop adequate project schedules, or to maintain those schedules throughout project execution" stands amid the four primary causes of project failure (Assessment of Problems Associated With Poor Project Management Performance). Other pitfalls of poor fieldwork scheduling and equipment dispatch include:
- Overstaffing which leads to senseless waste of payroll dollars
- Understaffing which can result in missed deadlines and the associated penalties
- Unintentional environmental side effects
- Wasted materials and asset allocation
- Inaccurate cost reporting and control
- Lack of effective performance reporting
- A decrease in jobsite safety
- Lousy quality management
- Poor oversight and management of subcontractor processes
- Missed opportunities for efficient scheduling of asset maintenance
- AND much more.
Managing Construction Fieldworker Scheduling – How To Eliminate the Strife
Labor and asset scheduling of any type presents a host of challenges. However, construction worker scheduling and dispatch comes with various industry-specific complications. Construction sites often function on extended hours and multiple shifts. Overtime compensation, permissible work hours and safety requirements affect scheduling decisions in diverse and various manners. Along with avoiding the pitfalls of inefficiency, construction contractors must also:
- Organize the right crews for the right site
- Quickly adjust for injuries, worker leaves, and sick workers
- Rapidly communicate the when, where and why of each worker’s responsibility for a given jobsite
- Balance and maintain accurate and reliable time details
- AND of course, ensure that clients receive correct invoice data.
It all mounts up. Accurate reporting. Avoiding the pitfalls. Assigning workers for the most efficient return. And all the other checks and balances. If you are battling the stress and strife of an out-of-control construction worker and dispatch scheduling process, perhaps you should examine the solutions offered by the Assignar workforce and asset allocation and planning digital technology.
- With Assignar, you can reap the benefits of:
- Geo-location tagging
- Cloud-based data sharing
- Applied mobile timesheet technology
- Accurate and traceable documentation, licensing reports, and employee status updates
- AND this, of course, is only the tip of the Assignar worker and dispatch scheduling toolbox.
Take a free test drive of the Assignar fieldworker app.