Construction sites can be busy places with trucks entering and leaving the site all day long. For construction companies operating a fleet of trucks, ISO 39001 is a relevant International Standard that was first published in 2012. The standard explains requirements for a management system for traffic safety on the road. The standard is appropriate for governmental and private entities that interact with road traffic systems (RTS).
When the standard was issued, the ISO commented:
“The standard is a practical tool for governments, vehicle fleet operators and all organizations worldwide who want to reduce death and serious injury due to road accidents. ISO 39001 provides them with state-of-the-art requirements for safety aspects including speed, vehicle condition and driver awareness.”
In 2011, the United Nations began its Decade for Action for Road Safety (2011 through 2020). Although the standard addresses the need of emerging and middle-class nations, highly developed nations will benefit too.
Claes Tingval was the Chair of the ISO Technical Committee (ISO/TC 241) Road Traffic Safety Management Systems which wrote Standard 39001. He said:
“ISO 39001 will assist governmental and private sector organizations alike by providing a structured, holistic approach to road-traffic safety as a complement to existing programs and regulations. It is based on the process approach, proven by successful ISO standards such as ISO 9001 for quality management, including the plan-do-check-act cycle, and a requirement for continual improvement.”
What are the Goals of Construction Companies that Implement ISO 39001?
Construction companies that abide by the ISO 39001 system do so because they wish to:
- Establish, implement, maintain, and improve an RTS management system
- Assure itself of conformity with its stated RTS policy
- Demonstrate conformity with this International Standard
What are The Benefits of ISO 39001?
When construction companies obtain ISO 39001 certification they show the world that:
- Targets met. Meet safety and social responsibility targets through increased awareness of the legal and best practice issues concerning RTS.
- Responsibility proven. Certification proves to stakeholders that you take these targets seriously.
- Efficiency increased. Identify ways to improve efficiency and optimized resource targeting through better management.
- Business won or retained. Gain competitive advantage by being recognized as one of the first organizations to implement ISO 39001.
Other benefits of ISO39001 certification for construction companies include:
- Reduce death and severe injury
- Instills confidence in interested third parties
- Compliance with laws, rules, and regulations concerning traffic safety
- Reduce liability claims
- Reduction in costs
- Increase and ensure timely delivery of the project by improving RTS
How technology can help
There is quite a lot of paperwork involved in obtaining ISO 39001 certification. Assignar provides construction management software that helps by providing management with information regarding fleet management of vehicles and construction equipment.
Request a demo