No one doubts the value of an effectively applied methodology for fleet management. It’s about organizing, structuring and optimizing all aspects of the construction process into a single system that ensures maximum equipment efficiency. It means commanding the capability and the ability to optimize defined workflows as well as repeatable processes. It means keeping the project on track and on time. And it means preventing the breakdowns that can bring to an entire construction project to a chattering halt.
Backbone Methodology For Fleet Management Solutions
Problem is: Defining a specific methodology is far easier than practical implementation thereof… Unless…
You have access to a cloud-based construction workforce, asset allocation and planning software package.
Thus access to modern technology crafts the backbone methodology for maximum equipment efficiency. Implementation of a software-based material and equipment management system delivers contractors from the drudgery of:
- Spreadsheet-based data management
- Ineffective methods of site-to-site and site-to-office communications
- Information shortcomings pertaining to delayed instructions, delayed feedback and poor record-keeping
- AND the endless effort to avoid and/or recover from associated errors and failures.
Maximum Equipment Efficiency
Effective equipment management can be packed into the “big manufacturing production” idea of Overall Equipment Effectiveness, wherein your equipment:
- Functions with limited downtime – Equipment Availability
- Performs as quickly as possible – Equipment Performance
- AND provides reliable quality service – Equipment Quality.
But to achieve maximum equipment efficiency or overall equipment effectiveness, the applied methodology for fleet management must accurately address several key operational features. This includes the following processes:
Buy / Hire – Operation and Elimination
An effective fleet management methodology must incorporate the long-range tactical and industry aspects of possession, do you buy or hire equipment and attachments? Once decided on that, what about operation and elimination of equipment and the associated attachments. Evidently, a contractor’s fleet management plan must also include accumulation and managed financial aspects of equipment usage and replacement funding.
Access To An Accurate Database
It’s about capturing and understanding cost data, operating expenses as well as ownership expenses. It’s about accumulating, compiling, tracking, and analyzing detailed information concerning overall fleet performance. It’s about accurately applied and up-to-date equipment-to-project job costs. A detailed fleet management database can help you:
- Establish reliable inventory control
- Ensure proper equipment maintenance
- Make informed and accurate decisions concerning high-cost problem equipment units
- Ensure compliance with regulatory requirements
- Track vehicle use and performance
- Determine base vehicle-replacement cycles
- AND More.
“We keep a log of all form submission related to individual assets in Assignar. We keep all documents current, as we get notified when one is due to expire. Before dispatching and at the return of equipment, the guys in the workshop complete machine inspection forms. Assignar gives us insight in the hours of operations on every asset. We can generate a report with the form results and the hours of operations, this is very valuable when maintaining a large fleet like ours.” – Rebecca, Solution Plant Hire.
Organized and Optimized Materials Management
In the poem “No Man Is An Island,” John Donne included the words “Every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.” It is a concept that rings true even in the heavy equipment construction industry. Although the equipment dominates the expenditures, materials handled also play an important role in the crafting of an efficient methodology for fleet management. But modern construction workforce, asset allocation and planning software can help contractors merge the entire package.
- Simplify both ticketing and tracking of materials
- Integrate the process
- Reap the benefits of digital imaging of material tickets, timely billing and real-time data processing.
Why struggle with ancient equipment management technology? Assignar offers a ready-made, customizable solution to maximize your equipment efficiency. Act now to learn a better way to manage your construction operations.